- Spend time with Tenaya Darlington, aka Madame Fromage, co-host, author, and educator of artisan cheese, wine and spirits. She’ll entertain you throughout the tour, introducing you to some of Italy’s best artisan cheese.
- Wine tastings reflective of the terroir of Barolo and Barbaresco, led by Chiara Boschis who was instrumental in elevating Barolo to its world-class status by getting the “men’s club” of wine producers to transition to organic production practices – a true rebel!
- An intrepid trek up into the foothills of the Alps for a visit to Castelmagno Valliera – Italy’s most historic and traditional mountain cheeses which almost became extinct if it weren’t for its revival by – none other than – Chiara Boschis
- Giorgio Cravero, Italy’s most prominent affineur and exporter of Parmigiano-Reggiano, offers an exclusive look inside the five-generation family business, sharing intimate details during lunch at his family’s restaurant – Parm included!
- Livio & Lula – a local trifulau (truffle-hunter) and his dog – will have guests on their knees to unearth the black treasures which will star in the evening’s dinner
- A private tour of the University of Gastronomic Sciences (aka Slow Foods University) will be led by either Carlo Petrini, the founder of the international Slow Food Movement, or one of his outstanding colleagues; the visit will culminate with a horizontal tasting of regional Langhe/Piedmont wines at the affiliated Banca di Vino (wine bank)
- An old, abandoned silver mine turned “cheese aging cave” is at the beginning of the Guffanti Fiori story, where passion for the affinage process is the hallmark and pride of the five-generation family tradition. Here you’ll taste some of your favorites – mouth-watering Gorgonzola Dolce and Piccante as well as a few delicious rarities unavailable in the United States
- Italian villa accommodations at Albergo Castiglioni located in the Langhe region – a Unesco World Heritage Site
- A 3-day stay overlooking the magnificent Lake Maggoire and the Swiss Alps, including a boat trip to the Borromean Islands
Be sure to check out all of the Italy tour details here!
What I love most about traveling with Cheese Journeys is not only the terrific cheese, wine and other artisan comestibles, but the camaraderie and new friends I’ve made along the way, as well as how carefully curated and meticulously planned the trips are, with attention to every detail.